Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fantastic Creative Opportunity

Just recently I found artist Carla Sonheim through the wonderful blog, Vivid Layers. Based on the rave reviews of Marcia and many others from Amazon, I purchased Sonheim's "Drawing Lab, 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun." It was money well spent. There are some wonderful and fun exercises to help me remember the joy of creating art. I can still fall victim in focusing on product instead of process with my own work. I think young elementary school children are such fun to teach because they love the process.



This brings me to the point of this post. On Carla Sonheim's blog
she is offering a fabulous online course: The Art Of Silliness 2, 30 worksheets, 30 days, for $25. The exercises are "non-threatening and easy" and just plain fun. Her book reflects this wonderful looseness and whimsy. She mentions that teachers are welcome to photocopy the worksheets and use them in classrooms. I have signed up and just wanted to pass the word along to my fellow blog friends. These aren't long, time consuming exercises and can always be set aside for a day with more free time. Check out her blog for more info. I'm really looking forward to it!

4 comments:

  1. It would be fun to check out that online course. I wonder if the worksheets are similar to what is in her book, or if they are new activities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be right. There may be many of the same exercises. This will at least encourage me to be a little more structured with my time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing! i love her book!
    i was really excited to see those worksheets because when my students come into my room, i have them sit down and follow a prompt on the board/ projector... this includes sketching, journaling, etc... i like it because it gets the kids in 'art mode' and ready to work and gives me time to set up! those worksheets look like they would be so much fun to have the kids work on! thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another blogger (Art with Mrs. Smith) posted that she was signing up for this class too. I'm intrigued - sounds like fun - but am not sure I'll follow up on it. Some people might say I'm already way too silly...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!